5 DAY INTENSIVE DOCUMENTARY WORKSHOP At Manali
Thursday, 12th July - Tuesday, 17th July 2012
Thursday, 12th July - Tuesday, 17th July 2012
Emaho Exhibition celebrates one year ever since the name came up enroute the creative revolution that began eight months ago and has crossed several milestones till date. We present a five day- documentary workshop in the ever so serene Himalayan valleys at Manali, Himachal Pradesh.
The workshop will help to get you where you need to go for your next personal step as a photographer. It is a must that you must be competent & comfortable using your camera, and we will teach the rest. We want to PUSH the students hard. We will take them OUT of their comfort zones and challenge the way they think and shoot.
A little warm up session will be held before the workshop kicks off and we will gear up for a life changing experience in terms of photography to even the last person in the bunch of people attending the workshop.
The group will meets an evening before the commencement of the workshop. A little introduction, casual discussions and a chance for all to meet each other and also, the instructor- Sam Harris. It is mandatory that everyone attend this meeting as the official start of the workshop.
Schedule for The Five Days
- Day one of workshop / morning is time to see some students work / portfolio and discuss the ideas they have for their project.
- Every morning the workshop will start at 9 a.m. The morning session from Day1- Day 4 will be a combination of reviewing student’s work from previous days shooting and viewing educational / inspirational content. The morning session will be held until lunch.
- The students will then be given a chance to explore their learned skills and will go out in the surroundings and shoot their projects until following morning. If at any point of time, the students have an urge to explore and interact more with the instructor, they can have one-to-one time with him. Any issues or difficulties students might happen to experience as the workshop team looks further at their work etc.
- We encourage an open class, coming and going atmosphere for the afternoon and evenings. So there will be a lot of lively components in the post afternoon and evening timings. Usually students are free to come and go in this time and can use the workshop space for editing, base camp, talking over stuff etc. We will try to make a cut-off at 8-9 p.m. However, Sam will be available all the time for the students. It is required that they should come to the workshop having thought about what they would like to do. And we will guide them with the best of skills and ideas etc.
- The workshop will not be about assignments and theoretical cum lengthy handouts. We believe that students must have motivation and ideas within. Having said that, sometimes an idea comes out of conversation and we will channelize the direction/idea. The noteworthy fact is that the ideas sometimes change even after two days shooting. However, students must also something to the table, namely ideas, direction. Therefore they should research a little and think about it before arriving at the location.
- Day 5 of the workshop is dedicated to final edits of work, creating slideshows ready for the evening public slideshow presentation. The evening presentations will be featuring the best and the final workouts of the students over a span of five days. This is an important component as it forces and drives everyone to finish! Our digital assistant will be working along with the students at the D-day.
Noteworthy Points :
- Students that excel with have opportunities to show their work to a wider audience via Emaho and other outlets. Online, in print and in exhibition. All you have to do is impress us with some great work!
- Each morning, students will need to present best 10 images from previous day. Every student will have two folder systems running to their credit.
- One folder will be divided by day and will be a loose edit (up to 50 images). However, the second folder system will be updated each day and will comprise of the best 10 images only. The latter will then be viewed and reviewed by the instructor along with the class via projector to enable free flow of ideas, critique, an open learning environment for all the students.
- Our digital assistant will be readily available for the students to help with all the technical glitches (If any may emerge).
- The digital assistant will take the images from students via thumb drive. We will have for each student, a master folder which will grow as we collect their best of from previous day.
- We understand that it is very important that this room is comfortable! We will make sure that the students feel to be in a relaxed state of mind and NOT like being just in a classroom (table and chairs).
- To the point and step by step guiding handouts will be supplied to the students to make them have a clear vision and inspiration of what to do further.
- 13 seats including 2 scholarship seats.
Harris Martin workshops in association with Emaho are excited to launch our new Scholarships program.
Two free scholarship places will be awarded to Indian students of great potential and / or exceptional ability for the Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India Workshop. 12 - 17th July 2012.
Portfolio's will be juried by:
Submissions must include 10 images, preferably shot on a single subject (singles accepted also) 72 dpi at 1000pxl on the longest side. Or a link to a dedicated folder on-line.
A short Biography (200 words max)
A short statement about why you believe you should be the recipient of the scholarship.(300 words max)
Remember we will be looking for pure potential.
Enthusiasm and passion are essential.
Scholarship places are highly competitive. Applicants best suited will already have comprehensive knowledge of the technical aspects of photography including using professional editing suites like Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture, they will already have a portfolio of images and should be thinking about the concepts of shooting long term projects and editing series of work together. Applicants who have already developed a series of personal work will be favourably considered, although single image portfolio's are acceptable and will be considered if images are of a very high standard.
Biographies and Application statements are considered in support of the image portfolio.
Cost of the 5 day workshop – 16000 INR + 2000 INR (taxes) inclusive of Cottage Stay and Workshop Fee.
Selection done by Sam Harris .
To register your interest & or make a booking please email at – email@example.com:
Format of the email is :
Full Name : ____________________
Email : ____________________
Website or link to your work : ____________________
Briefly tell us about yourself and your relationship to photography :
Please tell us how you heard about our workshop : ____________________